Fuck You Spiritual People For Using Gratitude As A Bypass To Your Anger
Note: This post first appeared on my Facebook page. Join in on the fun here!
Liz and I just played a game after breakfast.
I like playing games. It’s my zone of genius. Creating games that take people into their next layer of depth without them even knowing it.
She was furious at her Wild Soul tank top manufacturer since they’ve delayed the order by months and then shipped them to the wrong address. The whole process has been a clusterfuck.
I told her, “Hey, let’s play a game.”
I want you to say, “Fuck… then whatever you’re mad at.”
“Fuck Best Buy and their store hours, making me come back today after wasting an hour there trying to buy a fucking iPhone 6.”
“Fuck this tank top manufacturer…”
“Fuck working so hard all the time, can’t I just win at life now and call it quits?”
“Fuck doing anything that doesn’t feel good.”
We expressed and expressed and expressed our anger at everything and everything. Even towards each other.
“Fuck you for being cheap.”
“Fuck you for buying organic everything. That shit’s like twice as expensive.”
“Fuck you for being so perfect and fucking me all the time. You’ve raised the bar to an unreasonable level. No human being can live up to this standard.”
Sometimes we laughed after finishing a sentence. Sometimes I felt a release in my body after saying something that I had been bottling up. And sometimes the sentence that came out of my mouth was so ridiculous, I thought, “Really?! A piece of me actually thinks that?”
At one point Liz expressed anger towards someone special in her life, then she said, but “I’m grateful for…”
I cut her off and said, “Wrong game.”
Then I said, “Fuck you spiritual people for using gratitude as a bypass to your anger.”
We looked at each other with a nod.
Liz said, “you better write that one down.”
So I just did.
After posting the status above on my wall in the morning, people started jumped in left and right with their own fucks.
Some posts made me laugh. Some made me cry. Some made me feel happy that someone thousands of miles away got to take a weight off of their chest.
I jumped back in later in the afternoon because I realized that I wasn’t fresh out of fucks yet.
“But wait! There’s more!
- Fuck the rich white men who are raping the planet in their rush for lining their pockets with more and more and more.
- Fuck all my teachers (Martha Beck, David Deida, Laura Hames Franklin, etc) for pulling me onto this spiritual path. Because now there is no turning back to my old life, even if it sucked and I was in pain all the time. Arrrrgh. Motherfucker!
- Fuck men for not stepping up. I want to shake most of you. Do you know how magnificent your lives could be with the smallest tweaks? It breaks my fucking heart.
- Fuck Monsanto. Fuck Koch Industries. Fuck Philip Morris. Fuck any company that puts profits over people and over the environment. You stupid retarded motherfuckers. Don’t you see you’re just causing more suffering in the world?
- Fuck religion. Fuck religion and the separation that it’s causing in the world. Fuck it for completely setting me up for failure in life. Fuck it for making me feel guilty to be a motherfucking human being. All paths lead to Rome you stupid fucks.
- Fuck this laptop. I want to be fucking and dancing and climbing on trees and walking by the beach. Not looking at this hunk of glass, metal, and plastic.
- Fuck everything about food in this country. Everything is a chemical shitstorm.
- Fuck me for playing small still. There are so many areas that I can be playing 100x bigger still. But I’m afraid no one will love me anymore.”
And then I unleashed a whole new set of fucks a couple of hours later.
“I can Fuck all day and night…
- Fuck people who prey on the weak to make a living.
- Fuck marketers who sell shitty products with slick sales letters or get people signed up on shitty continuity programs.
- Fuck The 4 Hour Work Week. Tim Ferriss doesn’t work four hours a week. Working four hours a week is just about the worst goal to strive for when starting a company.
- Fuck people who exaggerate results to sell products and services.
- Fuck The American Dream.
- Fuck waiting for my mom to die to share my heart.
- Fuck sitting.
- Fuck high fructose corn syrup.
- Fuck inefficiency in large corporations and the government.
- Fuck Montana and Wyoming for being so beautiful.
- Fuck clutter.
- Fuck your art. Not the art that you share, but the art that you hide from the world because you think it’s not good enough. That’s a lie that you’re telling yourself to keep playing small.
- Fuck trying to outsource and automate every single thing in your life. Are you just going to sit all day and do nothing like the humans did in WALL-E or Idiocracy?
- Fuck anyone who thinks they can be an asshole or stop contributing to society because they “earned it.”
- Fuck me for ever blaming anybody but myself for the levels of success, happiness, sex, or money that I allow into my life. I’m only a victim when I choose to be.
- Fuck you for watching and not playing along. Life is not a spectator sport motherfucker.”
I sent another set of fucks to a friend who I’m doing a daily journaling practice with.
I gave Liz some more fucks throughout the day and in between coaching calls. Fucks with our clothes on.
“Fuck you for smelling so delicious all the time!”
“Fuck you for being able to handle anything that I throw at you.”
Then as the day came to a close, I felt a space in my body that wasn’t there before.
Because it was all full of fucks earlier.
And now I had zero fucks to give.
As it should be.
PS – Enjoyed this article? You’ll love the follow-up I wrote called What To Do When Everybody Hates You And You Want To Die.
PPS – What are you bottling up? Feel free to play along with us here on the Facebook post or in the comments below. The prompt is: “Fuck… whatever you’re mad at.”
PPPS – You can also play this game in your men’s group, with your coach, with your partner, or alone in your journal. Get that shit out of your body!